A 3-year-old girl was set on fire in her nursery school in northern Vietnam on Wednesday, but teachers in charge claimed they do not know who did that since they were not in the classroom.
Doctors at the National Institute of Burns in Hanoi said Friday that the toddler, who was transferred from a hospital in Yen Bai Province with severe burns, is out of danger.
The incident occurred at around 7:50 am on Wednesday at a nursery in Yen Bai.
One of the class’ two teachers, neither of whom was at the scene at that time, later said she had taken a toddler to the toilet when she suddenly heard some children shout “Fire!”
The teacher, who asked not to be named, ran into the classroom and saw a child on fire, screaming and running around the room.
The three-year old girl’s dress was ablaze.
The other teacher was talking to some parents and collecting fees outside the classroom.
The two tried in vain to put out the fire. It only went out after several minutes when another teacher got a bucket of water and poured it on the girl.
The girl was rushed to a local hospital with severe burns from her stomach up to her chin.
The girl is in stable condition and could speak after two days of treatment, the doctors said.
The teachers found a cigarette lighter they had not seen before in a corner of the classroom, but neither knows which student had brought it or who caused the blaze.
Education authorities in the province Thursday told the media that nursery teachers have been instructed to make sure when people bring their children that they have no dangerous items like inflammable or sharp ones.
A Facebook user, reportedly one of the child’s relatives, on Wednesday posted the girl’s photo with burns and angrily denounced the teachers for their irresponsibility in leaving young children alone.
“What the hell were the teachers doing during class time letting a classmate set my baby on fire?”