2 dead as suspected gas explosion burns down restaurant in HCMC

By Hoai Nhon, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

The explosion and fire destroyed the goat hot pot restaurant in Tan Phu District, Ho Chi Minh City. Photo credit: VnExpress The explosion and fire destroyed the goat hot pot restaurant in Tan Phu District, Ho Chi Minh City. Photo credit: VnExpress

RELATED NEWS

Two people were found dead after their restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City was burned down in a massive fire following a suspected gas explosion Sunday.
Neighbors said they heard a huge explosion from the goat hot pot restaurant on Luy Ban Bich Street in Tan Phu District at around 10 a.m. before it was engulfed in flames.
They said they tried in vain to put out the blaze with fire extinguishers and water.
More than 40 firefighters, who came to the site along with seven fire engines, brought the blaze under control at 11 a.m.
Tang Chau Long, deputy chief of the Tan Phu District police, said, “While attempting to rescue two trapped victims, rescuers found Nguyen Thuyen Kieu, 43, and her daughter Quan Tieu My, 13, dead hugging each other.”
The two had burned to death, he said.
Authorities said the fire started from a cooking gas cylinder in the kitchen of the restaurant, which also served as a house, spread to several motorbikes and caused an explosion before destroying the building.
Kieu’s husband, Quan Man Phuoc, was cooking there at that time, they said.
While Phuoc and two workers managed to get out, Kieu and their daughter were stuck inside.
The three are now under treatment for burns at a local hospital.
Investigations are continuing.

More Society News