2 arrested for murdering tea tycoon in northern Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

Police in Thai Nguyen Province are investigating a man and a woman for allegedly killing the head of a leading tea company at a local hotel on January 26.

Do Van Tung, 27 and Linh Thi Kieu, 25, have confessed to manipulating Kieu's relationship with Vu Duong Binh, 56, to call him to Mai Dan Hotel in Thai Nguyen Town to talk about their business.

Binh was chairman of the management board and the CEO of Tan Cuong Hoang Binh Tea Company, one of the biggest tea companies in Thai Nguyen, recognized among Vietnam's leading brands for many years.

Kieu was once a salesperson in Binh's firm. After a few conversations, they got acquainted and contacted each other frequently.

Binh refused to lend Kieu VND100 million (US$4,800) as promised, so they had a quarrel. Binh saw Tung hiding himself behind a curtain and screamed so the latter jumped to attack him, a Nguoi Lao Dong (Laborer) report said, citing Kieu's confession.

As Binh struggled strongly, Kieu stabbed him 11 times in the head, chest and neck, which killed him, she told Thai Nguyen police.

Tung and Kieu, who said they have lived together as a couple, stole from Binh two cell phones, two automated teller machine (ATM) cards, which his family said were connected to accounts worth some VND200 million and around VND2 million in cash, a source told Thanh Nien.

They had fled to the north-central province of Nghe An.

After having called the room many times without receiving an answer, staff members from the hotel checked the room on January 27 afternoon and found him dead in the bathroom. Witnesses were quoted by Thanh Nien as saying that, Binh had come to the hotel in the evening one day earlier.

According to Nghe An Police, the couple rented a room in a hotel in Nghe An's Vinh City on that evening. On the next day, they committed suicide with pesticide after learning that they were wanted by police, but were rushed to local general hospital for treatment.

Doctors there looked for their identity papers to contact with their relatives and found ATM cards with Binh's name.

After they recovered, they were transferred from Nghe An to Thai Nguyen for investigation and further treatment on Tuesday.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Society News