13 typhoon victims still missing in central Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

Authorities in the central province of Quang Ngai Friday said 13 fishermen listed as missing after Typhoon Conson hit Vietnam last week were still nowhere to be found.

 

On Monday, the National Committee for Search and Rescue reported that the first storm to hit the East Sea this year had killed one person and left at least 17 missing at sea in northern and central Vietnam after it made landfall on July 17.

 

Since then four of the missing people have been found and rescued by Chinese boats, according to the Quang Ngai People's Committee.

 

Chinese boats had previously rescued another 19 Quang Ngai fishermen as well, they said.

 

Conson had left 76 people dead in the Philippines and two in China's Hainan province before heading for Vietnam.

 

In the meantime, typhoon Chanthu, while making landfall in China Thursday, triggered floods, rains and landslides in Vietnam's northern provinces of Yen Bai and Ha Giang.

 

One man was killed in the flooding, and 63 houses were damaged by landslides and floods, according to Ha Giang Province's flood and storm control committee.

 

Formed directly in Conson's wake, the second storm weakened into a depression after landing in China's Guanxi province Friday, Vietnam's National Center for Hydro-meteorological Forecasting said the same day.

 

Although it will disappear today, northern Vietnam could experience more rains, flooding and landslides, the center said.

More Society News