Authorities in the northern city of Hai Phong said that a crewman's error during repair works caused a fire on a Taiwanese-owned ship that left one dead and two others injured Saturday.
Vietnam News Agency Monday quoted the Hai Phong border guards as saying that Hsueh Tien Teu, a 62-year-old mechanic, was welding when sparks ignited oil in the Shun Cheng's engine room.
The vessel with six crew members was moored near Dau Island in Hai Phong when the blaze broke out.
Upon being informed about the fire, the border guards headquarters dispatched two boats with 11 soldiers for rescue efforts.
Five of the crew were saved, but Hsueh had been trapped in the machine room and his body was only retrieved later that day after the fire was put out.
The 3,800-ton ship, which transports frozen products, was on its way from China to Thailand when it broke down in Vietnamese waters Saturday, Lao Dong reported.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment