Vietnam has sent a diplomatic note to Thailand asking it to investigate a recent attack by the Thai Navy on three Vietnamese fishing boats in the Gulf of Thailand.
According to Nguyen Hai Ngoc, first secretary at the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok, the incident happened at around 2 p.m. on July 8.
Thai vessels attacked the Ben Tre Province-registered boats with a total of 18 people on board, and two people were injured while a man went missing, he said.
They also crashed into and sank two boats, he added.
The injured men, Nguyen Van Teo and Nguyen Van Linh, were taken by helicopter to a hospital in Songkhla Province.
The 15 others will be taken ashore Monday, but it is unclear what will be done with the remaining boat.
A Songkhla court will today try the fishermen for illegally entering and fishing in Thai waters.
Ngoc said that it is against international law and common practice to shoot at foreign fishing boats for such acts.
The embassy has sent representatives to Songkhla to assist the fishermen.
On September 11 last year Thai forces also shot at Vietnamese fishermen and killed one of them.
Thai authorities are yet to respond to a diplomatic note sent by the Vietnamese foreign affairs ministry to investigate.