Vietnam demands compensation for Chinese attack on fishermen

TN News

Email Print

Vietnam's foreign ministry demanded that compensation be paid to local fishermen who were attacked by Chinese forces off the Hoang Sa (Paracel) Archipelago last week.

At a meeting with the Chinese embassy in Hanoi, a Vietnamese ministry representative objected to China's action, asked the country to not repeat it in the future, and demanded compensation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs' spokesperson Luong Thanh Nghi said .

The action violated Vietnam's sovereignty, and went against the decades of friendship between the countries as well as the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea, Nghi said.

RELATED CONTENT

Vietnam investigates attack on boat by foreign warship off Hoang Sa

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

Moreover, it threatened Vietnamese fishermen's lives and caused heavy damages to their property, Nghi stressed.

On February 22, when it was approaching Hoang Sa seeking shelter from strong winds, a fishing boat from the central province of Quang Ngai with 11 onboard was stopped by Chinese forces, Tuoi Tre reported.

They raided the ship and beat the fishermen, threatening and robbing them of their property, the report said.

More Politics News