The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) insisted that China investigate and strictly punish the Chinese forces that assaulted and robbed Vietnamese fishermen off Vietnam’s Hoang Sa (Paracel) Islands last month.
The ministry also demanded that China pay compensation to those who suffered from the illegal crimes
During a press briefing held Tuesday, MOFA Spokesman Le Hai Binh said in a press briefing Tuesday that ministry representatives had met with representatives of the Chinese Embassy in Hanoi to hand-deliver a note of protest.
“The acts violated Vietnam’s sovereignty, sovereign rights and jurisdiction in the East Sea in addition to violating international law and the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (COC),” Binh said.
The acts also violated Vietnam and China's agreement on basic principles guiding the settlement of sea-related issues, and the common perception of both countries’ leaders on the humane treatment of fishermen, he added.
On August 1 and 14, two Vietnamese fishing boats from the central province of Quang Ngai , the QNg 96416 TS and QNg 96674 TS, were stopped by a number of Chinese ships off the coast of the Hoang Sa Archipelago.
The Chinese crews raided a number of the Vietnamese boats and prevented them from fishing in the area.
On August 15, another Quang Ngai fishing vessel, the QNg 96697 TS, was stopped by two Chinese speed boats, both coded 207, whose crews illegally confiscated and damaged their property.
The Chinese pirates also viciously assaulted the Vietnamese fishermen.