Vietnam asks China to compensate fishermen robbed in East Sea

By Le Quan, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

A crew member of the fishing boat that was robbed by Chinese forces on March 6 shows the broken fishing nets. Photo: Hua Xuyen Huynh A crew member of the fishing boat that was robbed by Chinese forces on March 6 shows the broken fishing nets. Photo: Hua Xuyen Huynh

RELATED NEWS

Vietnam demands that China compensate Vietnamese fishermen who were robbed by Chinese vessels while fishing off the Hoang Sa (Paracel) Islands earlier this month, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Thursday.
MOFA spokesperson Le Hai Binh Binh condemned the acts of Chinese men as “inhuman” and demanded that such acts not be repeated.
“Under any circumstances, we will not accept inhuman behavior, the use of force or threat to use force against Vietnamese fishermen. We strongly oppose to similar actions,” he said.
He ordered Chinese authorities to investigate and strictly punish those who attacked and robbed Vietnamese fishermen and compensate for the losses.
He reiterated Vietnam’s indisputable sovereignty over Hoang Sa and Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelagoes.
On March 6, a fishing boat hailing from the central province of Quang Nam with nine crew members aboard was stopped by two Chinese-flagged vessels off Hoang Sa.
Eleven Chinese men boarded the Vietnamese boat, introducing themselves as Chinese coast guard and claiming that the Vietnamese boat had violated Chinese sovereignty.
They took control of the boat before starting to destroy communication devices and fishing equipment on the boat.
The Chinese men took away all the food and the catch of the Vietnamese crew, and even dumping fish into their drinking water containers, the Vietnamese fishers said.

More Politics News