The government has asked the President to revoke the title awarded to a former high-ranking Party official in light of recent findings that he had fabricated his Vietnam War achievements.
On Wednesday Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc called on President Truong Tan Sang to revoke the title of People's Armed Forces Hero awarded to Ho Xuan Man, a former member of the Communist Party Central Committee and former Party chief of Thua Thien-Hue Province.
It followed an investigation by the Party's Central Inspection Committee into accusations against Man by a group of war veterans in late 2013.
The committee had said Man, 65, lied about his accomplishments in Phong Dien District in Thua Thien-Hue between 1964 and 1975 during the Vietnam War.
Investigators found that only two of Man’s 17 claims were found to be true.
They said three of the achievements involved attacks in which he was a participant rather than a leader as he had claimed.
Four others were baseless and eight others were fabricated, they said.
He had been awarded the title in 2000.
Man joined the revolution in 1967 at the age of 19 and not 1964 as he had claimed.
He did not organize or lead any highly successful battles as he had reported.
Man had claimed that between 1969 and 1975 he led nearly 100 attacks, killing 150 US soldiers and destroying a US aircraft and 37 military vehicles.
He had also claimed to have killed a local henchman of the US-backed Saigon regime, Nguyen Cong Dang, in Phong Son Commune. But Dang had been killed by three local residents, the committee said.