The Thua Thien-Hue Province Party Unit is investigating an accusation by a group of veterans that a former provincial Party chief made false claims about his wartime achievements to get an award, the Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper has reported.
Ho Xuan Man was awarded the title of People’s Armed Forces Hero in 2010 after he made a claim along with documents about 17 accomplishments in Phong Dien District between 1964 and 1975 during the Vietnam War, which ended in April 1975.
But Hoang Phuoc Sum, a former provincial police officer and one of the accusers, told Tuoi Tre that Man had studied with him in neighboring of Quang Binh Province from 1969 to March 1970, and then worked as assistant to the Phong Dien District chief from March to November 1971.
“He was just a local guerrilla and did not hold any position, so how could he say he led nearly 100 attacks, killed over 150 American soldiers, and destroyed an aircraft and 37 other military vehicles?” he asked in an interview with the newspaper.
The accusers said in a letter to the Party Unit in February Man had claimed the victory of three residents of Phong Son Commune, in a battle in the locality.
Nguyen Ngoc Thien, the current provincial Party chief, said the provincial Party Inspectorate is looking into the letter and would meet with the signatories and Man.
Man’s application followed proper procedures and his documents had been scrutinized by relevant authorities before being approved by the prime minister, he pointed out.
But his office would check the application and relevant documents again before coming up with its final statement, he promised.
Man told Tuoi Tre newspaper Tuesday that he was willing to furnish evidence of his achievements.
“We cannot make up [such things],” he said.
A source has told Tuoi Tre that the accusers on Thursday sought the Party Unit’s permission to confront Man and recommended that it collect testimonies of Man’s comrades in Phong Dien District on the case.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment