Nguyen Thi Nhu from the central province of Thua Thien-Hue can't lie down, even when she's trying to sleep.
She has to sleep sitting up because any time she lies down she starts coughing.
Doctors at Pham Ngoc Thach Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City said she suffers from pulmonary fibrosis that has affected 90 percent of her lungs.
But they don't know what caused the condition and they said her condition was rapidly deteriorating.
The 28-year-old is now very pale and skinny, and has lost about 30 kilograms.
Her father Nguyen Dinh Lien said Nhu began to cough more than a year ago. Doctors at a local hospital diagnosed her with tuberculosis, but the medication they gave her only made things worse.
The family from Phuoc Yen Village, Quang Tho Commune, Quang Dien District sold all their rice stock for VND5 million (US$240) and borrowed from relatives and friends to bring her to Ho Chi Minh City in the hopes of seeing better doctors.
Their house is now empty as they have since sold almost everything they own to pay for examinations in the city.
Lien himself has bladder cancer but he said he has to care for his daughter first.
|Donations can be sent to the Vietcombank account of Thanh Nien newspaper at 102010000116341. All donations should be noted as intended for "Nguyá»…n Thá»‹ Như"
They can also be deposited at Thanh Nien offices, nationwide:
- 248 Cong Quynh Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- 2nd floor, No. 17, 167 Tay Son Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi
- 41B Cat Cut Street, Le Chan District, Hai Phong
- 1 Nha Tho Street, Thanh Hoa Town, Thanh Hoa Province
- 144 Bach Dang Street, Da Nang
- A22A Tran Le Street, Da Lat
- 133 Le Loi Street, Quy Nhon Town, Binh Dinh Province
- 120 Thong Nhat Street, Nha Trang
- 88 Vo Thi Sau Street, Bien Hoa Town, Dong Nai Province
- 99 Tran Van Hoai Street, Can Tho.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment