Doctors in Hanoi said Friday that two people have died and another five were in critical condition after eating wild tomatoes earlier this week.
The victims, all from the same family in the northern province of Son La, were sent to the provincial Phu Yen District Hospital with dizziness, nausea, stomachache, and convulsions, according to doctors at the Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi.
They developed the symptoms after eating wild tomatoes picked in the forest and sold by someone to the family, one of the victims told VnExpress.
According to the victim, his family often made soup with the wild tomatoes, but this was the first time they'd suffered poisoning.
Two people died at the local hospital, while others were transferred to the hospital in Hanoi, and are gradually recovering, doctors said.
Further details about the family members were not given.
Local agencies were yet find the tomato seller, and doctors were yet to conclude which substance in the fruit was poisonous, VnExpress reported.
It was very likely that people mistook some kind of poisonous fruit for wild tomatoes, the news website quoted doctors as saying.