Vietnamese receives emergency surgery after swallowing toothpick

By Thanh Tung, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

A CT scan image provided by a Ho Chi Minh hospital shows a toothpick inside the abdomen of a 57-year-old man. A CT scan image provided by a Ho Chi Minh hospital shows a toothpick inside the abdomen of a 57-year-old man.

RELATED NEWS

Doctors in Ho Chi Minh City on Thursday successfully completed a procedure on a 57-year-old man to remove a toothpick stuck in his intestine and causing inflammation.
Family of the man took him to Xuyen A General Hospital in the city outskirts after they gave him common pain killers for his abdominal pain but it only became worse.
A scan found a five-centimeter bamboo toothpick which had caused him peritonitis, which is inflammation of the abdomen’s lining and potentially fatal.
The patient is stable but could not remember when he swallowed it.
Doctors said when a toothpick caused a hole in the intestine, waste will be leaked into the abdomen and lead to inflammation.
They said people should not talk and laugh while having a toothpick in their mouth.
Using toothpicks is a habit among many Vietnamese, especially old people. Dentists have warned that they are bad for dental health. 
 

More Health News