Vietnamese man stable after giant tumor removed

TN News

Email Print

The man whose 82-kilo tumor was removed last week is now stable, doctors at FV Hospital said.

Nguyen Duy Hai was moved out of his intensive care room on Wednesday afternoon, six days after the headline-grabbing operation led by renown US plastic surgeon McKay McKinnon, news website VietNamNet reported.

Doctors said Hai's condition is better. All of his organs are functioning properly, his pain has subsided, and his fever is gone.

Hai started to recover on January 7 after a medically induced coma. He could breath by himself and eat soft foods.

RELATED CONTENT

Man recovers after removal of giaint tumor
Vietnam women with massive tumors recover after surgeries

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

He will remain at the hospital in Ho Chi Minh City for an intensive, nutritious diet and to treat his injuries.

Before the operation, Hai and his family were told that there was only a 50 percent chance that he would survive after that.

The 12-hour operation on January 5 cost VND420 million (US$20,000), but the hospital only charged VND252 million.

About half of the cost was paid for by a donation from the Red Cross Agency in Hai's hometown in Da Lat, as well as by other helpers.

McKinnon conducted the surgery free of charge. He was also in Vietnam for two more surgeries on January 6 and 7 to remove rare tumors from two Vietnamese women. Both also have recovered.

More Health News