Vietnamese doctors remove iron nail from toddler’s stomach

By Vien An, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

The X-ray scan shows the iron nail in the boy's stomach. Photo: Nguyen Mi The X-ray scan shows the iron nail in the boy's stomach. Photo: Nguyen Mi
Doctors at a Ho Chi Minh City hospital on Saturday said they had removed an iron nail accidentally swallowed by an 18-month-old boy.
Pham Trung Dung of Children’s Hospital No. 1 said the boy hailing from the Mekong Delta province of Ca Mau was rushed in after he cried for hours and vomited.
An X-ray scan showed the 4.5-centimeter-long iron nail in his stomach. Doctors then successfully removed it. 
They said there was some damage but it was still lucky that he was taken to the hospital in time.
The boy’s family said his father carelessly gave him two iron nails to play with and left the scene to do something.
When the father came back, he saw the boy crying and vomiting.
He found only one iron nail left and suspected the boy had swallowed the other one. So he rushed the boy to hospital.

More Health News