Vietnam man has 40-cm electric wire removed from bowel

By Khanh Hoan, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

The 40-cm electric wire removed from the intestine of Dau Van Phu, 35, of Nghe An Province. Photo courtesy of Tuoi Tre Newspaper
A hospital in the north-central province of Nghe An said Wednesday doctors took an electric wire from the bowel of a man who swallowed the wire two years ago after his friends challenged him to do so.
Dau Van Phu, 35, of Vinh City was admitted to Nghe An General Hospital on April 4 after he developed stomach pain, nausea and fatigue.
After an X-ray scan was performed, doctors spotted a long object in his intestine.
The doctors performed a key-hole surgery, lasting in around 30 minutes, to take the object out.
The object turned out to be a 40-cm long electric wire.
Phu said he swallowed the wire after his friends challenged him to do so two years ago.
After treatment, Phu was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News

Doctors perform a liver transplant at Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Nguyen Mi

Vietnam hospital pushes for organ donation

Ho Chi Minh City’s leading public hospital opened an organ transplant coordination unit to fairly distribute and expand the country’s severely limited bank of organs.