Vietnam man dies of methanol poisoning

TN News

Email Print

A methanol poisoning victim receives treatment at Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi / PHOTO COURTESY OF LAO DONG

A 32-year-old man died of methanol poisoning in Hanoi Monday after drinking rice wine for four days as part of the Lunar New Year revelry, Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper reported.

Dr. Nguyen Dam Chinh of Bach Mai Hospital's poison control center was quoted as saying that the victim, who belonged to Thanh Tri District, was hospitalized Sunday with massive accumulation of acid in the blood, multiple organ failure, and high pulse rate.

He died the next day.

Chinh said methanol in alcoholic drinks, when ingested in large quantities, is metabolized into corrosive formic acid.

Once the metabolism occurs, the fatality rate is high, and even if a patient is saved, they suffer complications like blindness and kidney failure, he said.

The man was among four alcohol poisoning cases admitted to Chinh’s center since New Year’s Eve, according to the newspaper.

Dr. Pham Due, the director of the center, warned that the number of methanol poisoning cases is likely to increase this month as people continue to hold New Year parties.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News

Researchers at University College London have found that eating seven daily portions or more could reduce the risk of cancer by 25 percent and of heart disease by 31 percent, compared to people who consumed less than one portion a day. Photo: Shutterstock

Fruit and veg: Five-a-day is OK, says study

British nutritionists threw down the gauntlet to dietary guidelines in April by declaring seven daily portions of fresh fruit and vegetables, rather than the recommended five, were the...