Doctors in the central province of Quang Binh have rescued a three-year-old boy who was almost killed by cement dust which entered his lungs and formed a clot after a sack of the powder fell on him.
A Tuoi Tre report said Wednesday that Dang Van Thanh was admitted to the Dong Hoi Vietnam Cuba Hospital on Sunday with convulsions and respiratory difficulties. His body was turning blue at the time, the report said.
Doctors used salt water to clean his lungs, but this only helped remove some of the big clots. Since they did not have an endoscope to tackle smaller ones and dust, they transfered Thanh to the Hue Central Hospital the next day .
Speaking to the newspaper, Dr. Tran Phuong Nam, deputy chief of the Hue hospital's otorhinolaryngology department, said Thanh has passed the dangerous phase, but he has critical pneumonia due to the large amount of cement dust he breathed in.
Doctors are conducting further tests on Thanh before taking out the rest of the clots which are blocking his pulmonary valves using an endoscope, Nam said, noting it was the first such case that the hospital was treating.
According to Thanh's mother, Hoang Thi Thuy, the boy was playing with a bike on Sunday when an open sack of cement kept on the bike fell on him.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment