A man from the Mekong Delta City of Can Tho had to undergo surgery Wednesday after toothpicks he had swallowed punctured his stomach wall and injured his large intestine.
Ta Thanh Hung, 31, was admitted to Military Hospital 121 in Ninh Kieu District with severe pains in his gut and dropping blood pressure earlier that same day, Vietnam News Agency reported.
Doctors also said parts of his body had turned purple.
But Hung appeared well on his way to recovery after surgeons removed the toothpicks in a two-hour operation.
The news agency quoted the patient's family as saying that Hung was a drug addict and had swallowed the toothpicks in a drug-induced stupor eight months ago.
Hung told his family that he had found "many" of the toothpicks in his stools since then.
The family also said that in 2007, Hung had swallowed many paper clips and underwent surgery to have them removed at Binh Dan Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment