Doctors in the central province of Nghe An successfully removed a pair 12-centimeter-long tweezers from a man's duodenum, news website Vietnamnet reported Thursday.
Pham Viet Nghia, 22, was admitted to Nghe An Province General Hospital earlier this month with pain in his throat and stomach after swallowing the steel device more than two weeks earlier.
An x-ray showed it lodged in his small intestine, and doctors removed it after a three-hour surgery.
"It was lucky that he was brought to the hospital because the sharp heads of the tweezers had already caused ulcers in his stomach and almost pierced his small intestine," Dr Le Nhat Huy, a senior doctor at the hospital, said.
It is not known why Nghia swallowed the tweezers. A report on news website An ninh thu do (Capital security) said he was suspected to have attempted suicide.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment