Swine bacterium suspected of kill man in central Vietnam

By Bui Ngoc Long, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

RELATED NEWS

Streptococcus suis, a bacterium commonly present in pigs. File photo

A man who died in a hospital in central Vietnam a few days ago was found being infected with Streptococcus suis, a bacterium commonly present in pigs, doctors said Monday.

Le Dinh Hung, 58, was admitted to Huong Tra Town General Hospital with high fever and exaggerated shivering on June 5, but was soon transferred to Hue Central Hospital after developing septic shock, Dr. Hoang Bach Thao at Hue Central Hospital said.
However, he died later that same day due to failure of respiratory system and heart.
His family claimed that they did not raise pigs and before falling sick, he had not come in contact with pigs or eaten pork.
Local agencies are investigating how Hung contracted the bacterium.
Nguyen Dinh Son, director of Thua Thien – Hue Province’s Center for Preventive Health, told the media that Hung was the seventh case of streptococcus suis infection to be recorded in the province this year.
Last year there were 16 cases.
In February, a 48-year-old man in the northern province of Thai Binh died from the bacterium after eating tiet canh – a kind of dish made of uncooked pig blood.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News