Sunflowers are not only beautiful to look at, they also taste sweet and delicious.
When ingested, the bright yellow flowers help lower high blood pressure and relieve pain, while their roots can act as a cough suppressant. When prepared correctly, sunflower seeds can help get rid of dysentery, pinworms and pimples.
Sunflower oil contains omega fatty acids omega 3 and omega 6, which are essential for good health, cannot be made in the body, and must be provided through food. Omega 3 fatty acids help maintain a healthy heart and tissue structure, particularly in the brain and the eye's retina. Omega 6 fatty acids help promote healthy cholesterol levels.
Here are some ways herbalist Vu Quoc Trung uses sunflowers to treat common ailments.
- To cure vertigo, cook 60g of sunflower root in two bowls of water for 45 minutes and drink the beverage throughout the day. Or cook one deseeded sunflower with a little sugar and two bowls of water for 30 minutes before drinking during the day.
- To treat kidney stone, you can put 10g of sunflower stem duramen and 10g of kim tiền thảo (coin-leaf desmodium) in a pot and cover them with water and cook them for 45 minutes before drinking the tea throughout the day.
- For use as a general pain killer, you can put 40g of sunflower seeds, 15g củ mài (dioscorea persimilis) and 6g of cam thảo dây (jequirity or abrus precatorius) in a pot. Cover them with water and cook them for one hour. You should drink the herbal tea three times a day.
- To treat scalds by boiling water, you can smash three leaves of sunflower and cây sá»‘ng Ä‘ời (air plant or kalanchoe pinnata) and then apply the paste. The number of leaves depends on the size of scalds.
- To prevent cancer in general, you should eat 30g of roasted sunflower seeds every day.
- For bloody vomit, cook 20g of sunflower peduncle with two bowls of water for 30 minutes and drink three times a day.
- To treat diabetes, you should cook 15g of sunflower root with one bowl of water for 30 minutes and drink for breakfast for one week.
- To cure whooping-cough, cook 100g of sunflower root with three bowls of water for one hour and drink before meals three times a day.
- To treat gall-stone, put 40g of sunflower leaves and 30g of rá»… lau (dwarf sugarcane) in a pot. Cover them with water and cook them for 30 minutes and drink throughout the day.
- For dysentery, put 50g of sunflower seeds and a little sugar candy in a pot. Simmer them for one hour. Drink the hot herbal tea and throw away the residue.
- To treat high blood pressure and tinnitus, you should eat about 20g of roasted sunflower seeds at night.
- To cure pinworms, you should eat 100g of roasted sunflower seeds every day for a week.
- To treat a pimple, you should pound a little sunflower kernel and apply directly on the affected area.