Salmonella found in Vietnam factory food poisoning, nearly 1,000 workers hospitalized

TN News

Email Print

Workers at South Korean-owned garment company Wondo Vina in the Mekong Delta province of Tien Giang being rushed to hospital with food poisoning last Friday / PHOTO: HOANG PHUONG

Tainted food was concluded as the culprit in the hospitalization of nearly 1,000 workers at a South Korean-owned garment company in the Mekong Delta Province of Tien Giang last week.

Dan Tri online newspaper quoted the Vietnam Food Administration as saying on Thursday that salmonella - a bacterium often causing food poisoning in humans - was found in some of the food samples taken from lunch served at Wondo Vina Company last Thursday.

According to the administration under the Ministry of Health, the bacterium is present almost everywhere and food is easily contaminated with it.

When eating tainted food, people suffer sickness, vomitting and diarrhea, the agency said.

Wondo Vina workers started having symptoms like stomachache, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, and fever around midnight Thursday, and the next morning 968 of them were admitted to Cho Gao District's general hospital, including 171 in serious condition.

A team of health workers was sent to the company to check and treat another 150 workers who had slight symptoms.

Half the patients were discharged later that same day, and no fatality has been reported so far.

After the outbreak, authorities closed the company's canteen, where the lunch was cooked by Hoa Lan Company of HCMC, for five days to clean and disinfect it.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News