Rat poison curry hospitalizes 25 in Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

Twenty five people, including seven children, were hospitalized with food poisoning in the southern province of Tay Ninh Thursday after an illiterate woman unwittingly used rat poison instead of curry powder to flavor her poultry.

Pham Thi Nho, 53, from Truong Phuoc Hamlet in Hoa Thanh District, said she thought she had bought three packets of curry powder at a nearby grocery store to prepare for a family member's death anniversary the next day.

But after he guests ate duck and chicken curry she made, they developed symptoms such as vomiting, dizziness and headaches. Many were rushed to the Hoa Thanh Health Center.

It was only later that a guest looked at the packets and discovered they were rat poison.

Nho said she didn't know what she had bought because she was illiterate. She had been surprised, however, when the curry emitted no curry scent.

More Health News