Doctors in the Mekong Delta City of Can Tho have removed a six-centimeter long Malaysian prawn from a local manââ‚¬â„¢s bronchial tube.
Le Minh Nhut, 21, partially swallowed the freshwater shrimp (Macrobrachium rosenbergii ââ‚¬" technically not a prawn) as he was catching shrimp on Saturday.
According to Nhutââ‚¬â„¢s family, he went to catch shrimp without a basket and was thus holding the shrimp in his mouth. When the creature tried to escape, its sudden movements thrust it down Nhutââ‚¬â„¢s esophagus.
The young man was rushed to Can Tho General Hospital, where doctors removed the shrimp.
Doctors said it would have killed Nhut if taken out much later.
The young man is recovering but is still hospitalized for an infection related to the injury, doctors said.
Reported by Thanh Dung