Nha Trang restaurant suspended for tainted food that sent 119 to hospital

By Hien Luong, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Nha Trang restaurant suspended for tainted food that sent 119 to hospital

RELATED NEWS

A restaurant in the resort town of Nha Trang has been suspended after serving bacteria-tainted steamed shrimps which sickened 119 tourists last week.
The tourists were hospitalized after having dinner at Four Seasons Restaurant on Jul. 9 with symptoms of food poisoning. They recovered well and were discharged on Jul. 11.
The local Food Hygiene and Safety Office then carried out laboratory tests on samples of foods served at the dinner.
It said the steamed shrimps had readings of Clostridium perfringens - a bacterium that produces toxin in human intestines - 550 times higher than safety limits.
Le Dinh Don, the office chief, said the bacteria grow at temperatures from 16°C to 52°C. Slowly cooked foods and improperly stored, cooled or reheated foods are more likely to be contaminated.
He said the office has temporarily withdrawn the food safety certification of Four Seasons Restaurant and ordered it to conduct thorough cleaning and sanitising of its premises and review the origins of its foods and ingredients.

More Health News