Man dies from alcohol poisoning in southern Vietnam

TN News

Email Print

A 40-year-old man in the southern province of Long An has died from alcohol poisoning, Tuoi Tre quoted a local official as saying on November 23.

Nguyen Van Canh was found dead on November 19 in his rented room by other tenants in a building in Ben Luc Town, Nguyen Minh Hung, chairman of Ben Luc Town People's Committee, said in the newspaper.

The night before Canh had attended a party at the home of an acquaintance, the official said.

He reportedly vomited blood after drinking two cans of beer.

Other partygoers then asked him to go home to take a rest, but he refused and asked a friend to accompany him to another place to continue drinking.

Canh did not go home until late that night, the official said.

The next morning when he was about to leave for breakfast, he felt tired and returned to his room to sleep more.

Because they did not see him out after that, other renters broke into his room that afternoon and found him dead, according to witnesses.

Recently the Vietnam Food Administration under the Health Ministry reported that moonshine had killed 66 out of 196 people hospitalized for alcohol poisoning between 2007 and August 2012.

RELATED CONTENT

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

Most of the deaths were caused by ruou de (glutinous and non-glutinous rice wine) containing high levels of methanol and rice wine made from poisonous herbs, it said.

Vietnam's government recently issued a decree to restrict sale alcohol sales. 

Due to take effect on January 1 of next year, the decree regulated that licenses would be issued to alcohol businesses on a limited basis, in accordance with the population of the localities where they operate.

More Health News