Man dies after eating raw pig blood pudding in northern Vietnam

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Raw blood pudding is a Vietnamese specialty and has proved to be a risky one. Photo: Vu Phuong Raw blood pudding is a Vietnamese specialty and has proved to be a risky one. Photo: Vu Phuong

RELATED NEWS

A man from Phu Tho Province has died from bacterial infection after eating raw pig blood pudding, an exotic Vietnamese dish linked to diseases and many fatalities. 
The 67-year-old man ate the pudding, known in Vietnamese as tiet canh, at a restaurant near his house on May 17. He developed fever, nausea and became poorly conscious the day after that, news website VnExpress reported.
He was rushed to Phu Tho General Hospital and then to the Central Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Hanoi on May 19.
Doctor Nguyen Trung Cap at the Hanoi hospital said the patient was admitted in critical condition with septic shock due to Streptococcus suis infection.
Drastic intervention including strong doses of antibiotics and blood filtering procedures did not prove helpful. The family asked to have him discharged on May 21. He died at home the next day.
Doctors said swine bacteria usually cause meningitis or septic shock, which can quickly lead to fatal multiple organ failure. Around 7 percent of infected people die.
Cap said his hospital normally admits five cases a month.
Doctors strictly warned against eating raw blood pudding or under-cooked pig intestines, both of which are northern specialties and often served during family celebrations. 
One should go to a hospital if there is high fever after coming into direct contact with pigs and porcine blood, they added.

More Health News