Man dies after drinking rice wine in central Vietnam

By Bui Ngoc Long, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Man dies after drinking rice wine in central Vietnam

RELATED NEWS

A 25-year-old man died and another was hospitalized after drinking rice wine in the central province of Thua Thien – Hue on Saturday.
Nguyen Van Hieu and Nguyen Tan Dinh Loc, 26, allegedly drank the wine over a meal of snails at a local street eatery; the pair began vomiting and turning purple after finishing less than half of a bottle.
The men were rushed to Hue Central Hospital, where Hieu succumbed later that day.
Local agencies are investigating the case.
Alcohol poisoning cases are reported every year in Vietnam and some involve mass deaths. Official figures about these occurrences remain unavailable.
In 2012, the Vietnam Food Administration under the Health Ministry reported that moonshine had killed 66 of the 196 people hospitalized for alcohol poisoning between 2007 and August 2012.
Most of the deaths were caused by ruou de (glutinous and non-glutinous rice wine) containing high levels of methanol; others were allegedly killed by rice wine made from poisonous herbs.
The Vietnamese government has restricted alcohol sales since last year by allowing licenses to be issued to alcohol businesses on a limited basis based on the population of the localities where they operate.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News

Researchers at University College London have found that eating seven daily portions or more could reduce the risk of cancer by 25 percent and of heart disease by 31 percent, compared to people who consumed less than one portion a day. Photo: Shutterstock

Fruit and veg: Five-a-day is OK, says study

British nutritionists threw down the gauntlet to dietary guidelines in April by declaring seven daily portions of fresh fruit and vegetables, rather than the recommended five, were the...