Man allegedly dies from infected pig's bacteria

TN News

Email Print

A 37-year-old man suspected of contracting bacteria from a pig with blue ear disease has died in the central province of Quang Ngai, a local health official said on Monday.

 

The man was admitted to Quang Ngai General Hospital with a high fever, diarrhea and dead skin tissue on Friday after eating pork blood pudding earlier the same day, according to Nguyen Xuan Men, vice director of Quang Ngai Department of Health.

 

He was transferred to Hue Central Hospital the day after, where he died on the same day, Men said.

 

Quang Ngai's health department has sent staff to sterilize the victim's house, while suggesting that the hospital in Hue conduct a post mortem.

 

Previously, Hanoi-based National Hospital for Tropical Diseases reported that it had admitted six patients who had eaten uncooked pork and been infected with the Streptococcus suis bacteria.

 

Those infected by the bacteria often experience fevers and internal bleeding that can be fatal without timely and proper treatment.

 

Nearly 50,000 pigs in more than ten provinces and cities have been infected with blue ear disease which causes reproductive failure in breeding stock and respiratory tract illness in young pigs, the Animal Health Department, under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, reported last week.

 

On April 3, northern province Hai Duong first reported the disease's recurrence nine months after the department announced that Vietnam had successfully curbed the spread of the disease together with foot-and-mouth and bird flu last June.

More Health News