Doctors at Hanoi’s Viet Duc Hospital have removed fly larvae from the head of a 28-year-old man from the north-central province of Nghe An.
Dr. Nguyen Duc Anh of the hospital’s neurosurgery ward said on medical forum bacsinoitru (residency doctors) that the patient, identified only as L, had been injured in the head three years ago by an iron bar at his workplace in Malaysia.
Malaysian doctors performed a surgery to implant a titanium plate in his skull.
L still has pains in the left side of his body.
When his scar swelled a year ago, he did not go to hospital because of financial reasons.
“His family took him to a hospital in Nghe An on March 25 after they saw maggots in the festering injury,” Anh said.
“The patient was conscious when brought to Viet Duc Hospital.”
Maggots removed from the head of the patient. Photo credit: Bacsinoitru
First, in the minor surgery room, doctors removed several of the maggots but not ones embedded deeper, he said.
L. was then taken to the major operation room where doctors removed the remaining ones.
After the patient remained in stable condition for two days, he was sent back to Nghe An Hospital for further treatment.
Anh said it is rare for fly larvae infestation, known as myiasis, to be found in a human head.
“Eight people have been found infested with maggots in their brain worldwide and all died despite medical treatment.
“Luckily in L’s case, the maggots infested soft tissues separated from his brain by the titanium plate. They even helped prevent bacterial infection.”