A three-year-old girl in the central province of Khanh Hoa has tested positive for H5N1, becoming the countryââ‚¬â„¢s first bird flu patient this year, the Ministry of Health reported in Hanoi on Monday.
The girl, who lives in Ninh Hoa Districtââ‚¬â„¢s Ninh Than Commune, fell sick with fever, sore throat, cough and a runny nose on January 27.
She was admitted to Ninh Hoa Hospital the next day and was confirmed to be infected with the virus on February 12, according to the ministry.
The girl was recovering, it said.
An inspection conducted in Ninh Than showed no sign of the avian flu in the commune, and the poultry raised by the girlââ‚¬â„¢s family showed no signs of sickness.
However, the ministryââ‚¬â„¢s inspectors found that about a month earlier, ostriches had died of unclear reason sat a farm a kilometer away from the patientââ‚¬â„¢s home.
According to the ministry, 112 people had been infected by H5N1 since 2003, and 57 have died.
Also on Monday, the ministry reported that the total number of emergency cases related to daily life accidents admitted to hospitals nationwide had doubled from the previous year during the six-day Tet holiday starting February 13.
The death toll in traffic accidents during the holiday increased 29 percent year-on-year, while fatalities from fights were 3.4 times higher than the year before, the ministry said.
Food poisoning cases also increased by 70 percent over more than 1,100 recorded during last yearââ‚¬â„¢s holiday, the ministry said.
Source: Tuoi Tre