Infant recovers from heroin exposure in Vietnam capital

TN News

Email Print

A 16-month-old boy has recovered and left the hospital on December 27 after a month-long stay to be treated for a severe drug overdose after his babysitter unintentionally let him drink a glass of water mixed with heroin.

Nguyen Tien Dung, head of Bach Mai Hospital's Peaditrics Department, said the infant, only identified as T., was admitted to the hospital in a critical condition: high fever, body shaking, and in a coma.

T. had blood in his urine and was suffering from liver failure after receiving initial medical treatments, which included an antitoxin injection, but doctors managed to save him, Dung said.

On November 30, T.'s parents hired a woman babysit him while they went work.

As the babysitter was not around for a short while, the boy took her drink containing a drug the woman claims she believed would ease her stomachache. There was no information available as to how or from whom the woman obtained the drug.

The babysitter immediately informed his parents of the case but they did not rush him to hospital until he started suffering from symptoms later that day, when the boy grew pale and became physically weaker.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News