Health official censured over 50 childrens' medication shocks

TN News

Email Print

A health official in the southern province of Binh Duong was censured Tuesday for mistakenly instructing a nursery teacher to put an aseptic substance into porridge, leading to the hospitalization of over 50 children last week.

 

According to the report by Thuan An Town's health center, last Friday Nguyen Thi Vui, head of Hoa Binh Nursery School, called the health center of Binh Hoa Ward to ask about the instructions of using two bags of aseptic Chloramine B powder.

 

Tran Thi Huong, a staff member of the center, then told Vui to dissolve it with porridge or water for children, thinking that Vui was asking about nutrition powder bags that the center gave the school before.

 

In an interview with Thanh Nien, Vui said that she also received the aseptic powder from the health center which said it was for preventing the hand-foot-mouth disease.

 

After taking the porridge that Vui prepared as instructed, the children soon developed the symptoms of medication shocks and were hospitalized, but they were released after.

 

Right after the incident, local agencies suspended the nursery, which was found having no license even though it has operated for three years.

 

Dang Thi Kieu Oanh, chief of Thuan An Town's education division, said the school once faced the proposal of suspension in May also due to the lack of license. The school had previously applied for licenses but it failed to satisfy all the requirements, she added.

 

More Health News