HCMC records second cholera patient

TN News

Email Print

A two-year-old boy was admitted to a Ho Chi Minh City's hospital with cholera on Thursday, four days after his mother's hospitalization with the same disease.

The mother, a 25-year-old woman from District 8, was the southern city's first cholera patient of the year, the HCMC Department of Health reported Tuesday.

As of Thursday afternoon, the mother and son had begun recovering at the HCMC Hospital of Tropical Diseases, doctors said.

Local health agencies said they had probably contracted the acute intestinal infection at a street food stall in front of a secondary school in District 5.

The agencies have sterilized the school. No other students have been found with cholera yet.

The health department has also instructed related agencies to launch cholera prevention campaigns and warn local people to be careful about food and drink hygiene.

Last month Hanoi also reported its first cholera patient, a 28-year-old woman from Tay Ho District.

The Mekong Delta Province of An Giang, meanwhile, reported seven cholera cases, alongside another 38 acute diarrhea patients in January.

Cholera is an acute intestinal infection transmitted through water or food contaminated with the bacteria vibrio, causing diarrhea and dehydration that can lead to kidney failure and death if not treated promptly.

Severe outbreaks of Cholera infected hundreds of people in northern Vietnam in 2008 and 2009.

More Health News