A young woman became 2010's first cholera patient in Hanoi, where severe outbreaks have plagued residents over the last two years.
The 28-year-old from Tay Ho District fell sick on one week ago and was admitted to Hong Ngoc hospital, where she was diagnosed with cholera, the Ministry of Health told a meeting on epidemic prevention Wednesday.
She was then transferred to the Central Hospital for Tropical Diseases and was discharged on Wednesday after fully recovering and testing negative for the virus twice.
Doctors had yet to identify how she had contracted the infection.
In January, the Mekong Delta Province of An Giang had reported seven cholera cases, alongside another 38 acute diarrhea patients.
Cholera is an acute intestinal infection transmitted through water or food contaminated with the bacteria vibrio, causing diarrhea and dehydration that can lead to kidney failure and death if not treated promptly.
The severe outbreaks of Cholera infected hundreds of people in northern Vietnam in 2008 and 2009.