Hanoi confirms first death from swine bacteria this year

TN News

Email Print

A 51-year-old man has become the first victim to be killed by swine bacteria in Hanoi this year, Vietnam News Agency quoted local health authorities as saying on Monday.

According to the Hanoi Department of Health, Hoang Minh T. was admitted to Hospital 354 on September 5 with a high fever, cold shivers, vomiting and bleeding under the skin of his chest, arms and legs.

When T.'s condition did not improve, he was transferred to Bach Mai Hospital the next day, the news report said.

The man was once again transferred to the National Hospital of Tropical Diseases after losing consciousness, at which point bleeding spots had spread all over his body.

Doctors then concluded that T. was infected with the Streptococcus suis bacteria.

His family said he had eaten pig blood pudding prior to developing the symptoms.

On September 8 the man's family brought him home, as his condition continued to worsen.

He died the next day, the news agency reported.

The Vietnam News Agency said as of this August, the hospital has admitted 44 people infected with Streptococcus suis. Approximately 30-40 percent of those patients considered to have critical conditions told doctors that they had eaten pig blood pudding or had cooked or killed pigs before falling sick.

RELATED CONTENT

Vietnam tightens border checks as mysterious disease kills children in Cambodia
Two die after eating tainted pork 

A study conducted by the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology in 2010 showed that the bacterial disease had a high death rate that same year 55 cases were recorded across the northern region, producing seven fatalities, according to a report on the Dan Tri news website.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News