A local official in the northern province of Hai Duong on Sunday said they were trying to curb a diarrhea outbreak after five people have been found with cholera.
According to Bui Huy Nhanh, director of Hai Duong Department of Preventive Health, the patients were detected through tests on the first six samples taken from 16 people who were admitted to local hospitals last week with acute diarrhea.
They all attended a wake at a local house in Bang Trai Hamlet on Wednesday.
Local agencies have so far listed 250 people attending the wake and sterilized water sources and surroundings of families with cholera patients, he said.
The acute intestinal infection, which severely infected hundreds of people in northern Vietnam in 2008 and 2009, has hit five provinces and cities in Vietnam this year, including Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, according to the Ministry of Health's Department of Preventive Health and Environment.