Food poisoning sickens nearly 100 students in southern Vietnam

By Minh Chau, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

RELATED NEWS


Two of nearly 100 students who were allegedly sickened by food poisoning in Ho Chi Minh City's District 9 received treatment at a local hospital on April 18
Food poisoning sickened 97 students on Friday at a Ho Chi Minh City elementary school sending 64 to hospital.
Students from Long Binh Elementary School were admitted to District 9 Hospital with stomachaches and nausea around noon, Dr. Tien Dung, chief of the hospital’s emergency ward, said.
The patients reported feeling sick 30 minutes after eating a lunch of pork and vegetable fried rice; Dung said doctors believe their symptoms arose from a case of mass food poisoning.
Phan Si Bang, one of the students, told Thanh Nien that he did not eat much, because he found the rice smelled and tasted sour.
The hospital dispatched an ambulance and a team of health workers to the school to provide on-site treatment to students who had suffered less serious symptoms.
All of the students were discharged later that day.
Tran Hieu Tai, president of Long Binh Elementary School, said the students had lunch around 11a.m., adding that a group of students ate the same rice for lunch some 30 minutes before without incident.
The lunch was provided by Vissan, one of Vietnam’s leading animal product suppliers.
District’s health agencies, in collaboration with Vissan, took samples of the food for testing.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Health News