A doctor and another health worker in Vietnam's Mekong Delta have been suspended following the death of a 17-year-old girl that may have been caused by malpractice, a local hospital representative said Tuesday.
According to Pham Quoc Tuan, vice director of Nguyen Dinh Chieu Hospital in Ben Tre Province, Dr. Truong Thi Vung, and Nguyen Thi Mai, a medical assistant, may have violated regulations on health examinations and treatment when they attended to Vo Nhu Hao.
On October 5, Hao was admitted to the hospital with respiratory difficulties.
Vung then ordered Mai to give Hao an injection on the diagnosis that the patient was suffering a calcium deficiencty, VnExpress reported, adding that before being brought to the hospital, Hao was diagnosed with bronchitis by a local doctor at a private clinic.
However, after the injection, Hao became fatigued before her blood pressure dropped and she died.
The hospital's initial diagnosis showed that Hao probably developed anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction, to the intravenous drug.
The case is now under further investigations.