Binh Phuoc hospital blames doctors in infant's death

Thanh Nien News

Email Print

Binh Phuoc General Hospital in the namesake province, which has admitted that backflow of stomach fluid during sedation partly causes a 2-tear-old's death June 6, 2014. Photo credit: wikimapia Binh Phuoc General Hospital in the namesake province, which has admitted that backflow of stomach fluid during sedation partly causes a 2-tear-old's death June 6, 2014. Photo credit: wikimapia

RELATED NEWS

A new report blamed an anesthesiologist for the death of a two-year old boy at a hospital in the southern province of Binh Phuoc last month.
Binh Phuoc General Hospital issued a statement on July 28 saying that Tran Nguyen Kim Phat died from a respiratory depression.
The hospital acknowledged that the staff had failed to ensure that the boy hadn't eaten for at least 12 hours before the procedure, causing him to vomit and ultimately die.
Phat was admitted to the hospital at noon on June 6, fully-conscious and suffering from a large gash on his left instep that he incurred after stepping on a sheet of corrugated tin.
Dr Tran Quoc Hung performed a surgery more than two hours later to rejoin his tendons.
The anesthesiologist, Dr Phan Van Ngoc, and his assistant, Pham Van Tuyen, said he was given injected with Propofol.
The team intended to use a tube to assist his breathing, but they couldn't find his windpipe, so they used an oxygen mask instead.
The boy vomited five minutes after being put under.
The doctors successfully vacuumed out the fluid and inserted the breathing tube, but failed to recover the patient.
His heart and breathing stopped at 3:30pm; doctors made a number of unsuccessful efforts to resuscitate the child.
He was put on a respirator and died at 7:30 p.m.
The family has criticized the hospital for delays in informing them of the boy’s death; the hospital claimed “we were still in the process of trying to resuscitate the patient."
The boy's parent and relatives discovered he was dead while visiting him in a recovery room.

More Health News