Authorities in the central highlands province of Gia Lai on Tuesday reported that four locals died last weak after drinking spurious rice wine.
Le Van Van, Dang Van Phuc, another two men referred to only as Sek and Bok had a party with many other people, drinking rice wine, and eating pork and some other food in Ia Bang Commune on February 16, the fourth day of Tet (Lunar New Year).
After the party many of them felt dizzy and vomited, according to Gia Lai Peopleââ‚¬â„¢s Committee office.
Two days later, Van died, followed by Sek, Bok and Phuc, they said, noting that the cause of death has been identified as alcohol poisoning.
Gia Lai General Hospital doctors said the victims could have been poisoned by methanol, a highly toxic chemical illegally mixed with liquor.
Earlier this month the central province of Ninh Thuan had also reported that rice wine with excessive amounts of methanol and aldehyde had killed five local people and hospitalized 23.
Reported by Thien Truc