Samples of rice wine being taken from the agent of a Hanoi producer in the northern province of Quang Ninh, where four were killed after drinking methanol-laced alcohol last week / PHOTO COURTESY OF DAN VIET
Authorities in the northern province of Quang Ninh are investigating three separate cases in which four people died and four others were hospitalized after drinking rice wine produced by Hanoi 29 Import Export Joint-stock Company.
Samples taken in two of the cases were found to contain toxic methyl alcohol.
Online newspaper Dan Viet reported that authorities raided a company agency in Ha Long town to take more samples for testing Thursday.
According to the provincial Department of Health, 13 workers in Cam Pha town had a party November 29 and consumed eight liters of Ruou nep Ha Noi (Hanoi Glutinous Rice Wine).
They were fine the next morning, and three of them Nguyen Van Trung, 27, Tran Manh Linh, 26, and Nguyen Van Thanh, 26 -- bought more of it and drank.
Later that day they got a headache and sickness, and were hospitalized early December 2.
Trung died on his way to Cam Pha General Hospital, Linh fell into a deep coma and died a say later, while Thanh has recovered.
Also in Cam Pha, a man identified only as Hoang died at home Wednesday, after consuming two liters of glutinous rice wine with Nguyen Dinh Khoa, 24, and Le Dinh Trung, 30.
Both Trung and Khoa were hospitalized but recovered.
In the third case, Bui Van Dang, 25, and Bui Van Hoang, 35, were hospitalized in Ha Long town Tuesday after consuming three liters of rice wine with another man.
Hoang died two days later while Dang is in a coma.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment