Vietnam beauty queen gives up crown, says she’s tired

By Da Ly, Thanh Nien News

Email Print

RELATED NEWS

Doan Thi Kim Hong (R), head of the Miss Ethnic Vietnam beauty contest organizing board, and
Trieu Thi Ha (C) at the moment she was crowned Miss Ethnic Vietnam 2011. PHOTO: NGUYEN TRUONG
The first beauty queen to give up her crown has become a media sensation in recent days after the 22-year-old told media that the contest organizers’ stiff demands forced her to give up her crown last year.
Trieu Thi Ha of the Nung ethnic group in the northern mountainous province of Cao Bang was crowned the second Miss Ethnic Vietnam in 2011.

In a petition she wrote to the organizers on April 26 last year, she asked to give her title back after claiming that health problems had prevented her from “being able to follow the conditions set by the organizers.”

She promised at the time not to share her decision with the media without the agreement of relevant parties.

Recently, she broke that promise after saying her request went unanswered.

An Ninh Thu Do quoted her as saying she asked to give up her crown after the contest organizers refused to give her a break from campaigns, though she'd already agreed to postpone her studies.

Ha said that, as the incumbent queen, she'd spent her days with other past winners of the contest trying to promote last year contestants and look for sponsors.

She had to ask her school for a leave of absence.

After going on many trips that began early in the day and ended late at night, she said she felt exhausted and asked for a break, but her requests were refused.

In an interview with Thanh Nien in Thailand, Doan Thi Kim Hong, head of the contest organization board, expressed her unwillingness to let Ha shirk her responsibilities.

Hong said every beauty contest requires its finalists to agree to participate in social, charitable and cultural programs for two years after a win.

Ha claimed that the organizers never provided her with support or publicity.

Hong said the contest was held under the Performing Arts Department at the Ministry of Culture and Information, so she'll wait for the ministry to rule on the issue.

She said she never wanted to make a big deal about Ha’s decision.

But now that it has become a matter of public interest, she will arrange a press briefing with Ha when she returns to Vietnam.

The Performing Arts Department is set to meet with Ha this Thursday.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Entertainment News