2nd trade deficit sign of revived production: official

TN News

Email Print

Vietnam posted a trade deficit in March, the second time it has done so in the first quarter, and an official from the Ministry of Industry and Trade says it is a sign that local firms have reversed production cuts.

Tuoi Tre on Tuesday quoted Nguyen Thanh Hoa, deputy head of the Department of Planning, as saying the deficit of US$300 million last month means firms have been importing large shipments of raw materials for production.

Imports in March reached $11.3 billion, up 56 percent from February and 22 percent higher year-on-year. Exports during the same period increased by 54 percent to $11 billion.

Inventory growth slowed to 16.5 percent from January to February, as against 19.9 percent for the same period in 2012. 

Last year, the country enjoyed a trade surplus for the first time since 1992 and economists attributed it to enterprises downsizing operations. Official data showed that a total of 55,000 companies closed or shut down permanently last year amidst the economic downturn.

Overall, exports exceeded imports by $481 million in the first quarter this year.

First quarter imports of $29.2 billion were dominated by shipments of spare parts needed for industrial production, according to the General Statistics Office.

Exports stood at $29.7 billion for the same period, with shipments of phones, computers, cars and motorbikes, and their spare parts dominating.

Foreign-invested firms accounted for 65 percent of total exports, and the state sector for most of the remaining 35 percent.

Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment

More Business News