Third annual Yxine online film fest showcased fresh energy and creativity this year, with a film on homosexual love garnering several awards
Leon Le is known as the only Vietnamese American actor of Broadway, but now he has another claim to fame.
His second short film as a director, "Dawn" won three important awards at the Yxine Film Fest (YxineFF) 2012.
Le's 10-minute feature on the relationship between two men moved the film festival's jury with a "controlled telling" of the story that reflects "the complicated internal life of any person," said director Phan Dang Di, member of the jury.
The film won the "Golden Heart" prize for best film in the international competition category, as also the "Best Directing" and "Rainbow Heart" awards as the best feature on LGBT issues.
The 20-minute action movie "16:30" by young Vietnamese director Tran Dung Thanh Huy won four prizes for "Best Cinematography," "Best Actor," "Press-Critic Award" and "New Heart" (creative idea award.)
The online film fest, which was held over eight months and screened 66 films, closed on December 15 in Ho Chi Minh City.
This year's festival, themed on the "Individual," attracted more works by young foreign and Viet Kieu (overseas Vietnamese) directors; works of higher quality and diversity than in previous years, critics said.
At the press conference held after the closing ceremony, Diem Quynh, deputy manager of Vietnam Television's VTV6 channel, said that she wants to distribute all the award-winning films of the film fest.
Marcus Manh Cuong Vu, founder of the YxineFF, said that the young jury this year, including prize-winning director Phan Dang Di, noted actress Hai Yen, film producer Tran Thi Bich Ngoc, cinematographer K'Linh and critic Cao Viet Dung, brought fresh energy to the online film fest.
Hundreds of short films were submitted in four categories: International Competition (for global filmmakers), Local Competition (for Vietnamese filmmakers), Panorama (review of short films made in the last three years) and In Focus (Select short films).
As in previous years, the film fest also handed out important awards like "Red Heart" (voted by the audiences) "Green Heart" (for Best Film on Sustainable Development) and "Fire Heart" (Production Award Best Film from Local Competition.)
The award-winning films can be seen online at www.yxineff.com.
Winners of Yxine Film Fest 2012
|- Golden Heart/ Best Film from International Competition: Dawn (USA)
- Best Directing: Leon Le (USA)
- Best Screenplay: Polen Ly (Cambodia)
- Best Cinematography: Nguyen Khac Nhat and Nguyen Vinh Phuc (Vietnam)
- Best Editing: Dave Singh (Malaysia)
- Best Male Performance : Tran Minh Khoa (Vietnam)
- Best Female Performance : Chen Yu Ting (China)
- Red Heart/Audience Award: Truc Nhat voi Thu Ky (On Duty With Shu Qi - Vietnam)
- Vietnamese Heart/Press-Critic Award: 16:30 (Vietnam)
- New Heart/ Creative idea award: 16:30 (Vietnam)
- Green Heart/ Best Film on Sustainable Development: Hai Ly 2011 (Nautical Mile 2011 - Vietnam)
- Rainbow Heart / Best Film on LGBT: Dawn (USA)
- Fire Heart/ Production Award: Mot ngay (One Day Vietnam)