The woman was cycling her daughter back from school one late afternoon in November, riding with one hand and holding the girl, who was too feeble to hold on, with the other.
Tran Thi Thu, 38, from the poor central province of Quang Tri, said her daughter Nguyen Thi Lan Anh, 7, had never been strong since birth unlike her older sister.
She had been constantly sick, and doctors had diagnosed her with blood cancer two years ago.
Thu said she and the girl spent nearly a year at the Hue Central Hospital, a leading cancer institute in the region, for treatment.
She and her husband used to be factory workers, but she has quit to take care of the girl, leaving him, with his modest income, the family’s sole bread winner.
The girl’s teacher and classmates recently raised VND2 million (US$96) to help the family.
Thu said she was moved to receive the “loving money,” but doctors at the Hue hospital have told her she needs at least VND200 million ($9,600) to get a marrow transplant for the girl in Ho Chi Minh City.
“They said that could be the only chance to cure her. But we cannot afford that, even if we sell everything including myself and my husband,” she said.
The girl goes to school but can do little else in terms of physical activity, and spends most of her time drawing.
PLEASE SEND YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO:
Thanh Nien newspaper, Vietinbank account number 102010000116341.
They can also be handed over to Thanh Nien offices nationwide at
- 248 Cong Quynh Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- 2nd floor, No. 17, 167 Tay Son Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi
- 41B Cat Cut Street, Le Chan District, Hai Phong
- 1 Nha Tho Street, Thanh Hoa Town, Thanh Hoa Province
- 144 Bach Dang Street, Da Nang
- A22A Tran Le Street, Da Lat l 133 Le Loi Street, Quy Nhon Town, Binh Dinh Province
- 120 Thong Nhat Street, Nha Trang
- 88 Vo Thi Sau Street, Bien Hoa Town, Dong Nai Province
- 99 Tran Van Hoai Street, Can Tho.
Mark your donations as intended for Nguyễn Thị Lan Anh.
Like us on Facebook and scroll down to share your comment